Saturday, November 21, 2009

Religion

I haven't really liked the word Religion in the past. I've always used "spirituality" or "Faith" but lately I'm really liking the use of it.

I was explaining to a co-worker when i say Religion I'm taking about community. Friends. People i can share my life with. What's so bad about that?

The word religion has been very taboo in modern times. It's come to mean a legalistic condemnation of people you don't know and who (interestingly enough) don't profess faith in Christ. So why bug them?

That's not my Religion. Religion is love for friends. Breaking of bread amongst people. And yes, at times, expressing concern over someone's life! But people I love and who I have earned the right to do that with.

I feel so good knowing I am confortable using the Word religion. I couldn't do that before!

And I'm even learnign to Speak Christian, which is weird for me! But it's kinda cool too! I'm seeing words like blessing, rejoice and praise coming into my regular vocabulary. Hmm. A change from where I've come from, to say the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Your Only learning? Daivid, you are one of the most godly people I know. In a real way not that bible thumping hell mary kind of way and thats what I love about you! It always blows my mind that people can always learn more, and become better than they already are...! hmmmm
    keep on keeping on buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The language of faith can be a double-edged sword as so many beautiful words have lost their meaning or been co-opted. I'm with you on this one and I, too, am starting to employ some of the language I've spent most of my life avoiding!

    ReplyDelete